Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rest Day

The weather outside is a chilly 39 degrees. You can see your breath in the night air. There is a light rain coming down and it is making a very soothing sound as it hits the roof and windows. What better time to enjoy some much needed rest.

After the last three intense days of working out tonight will be a welcome one. All that I have on the agenda is cleaning a little house (2 rooms won't take long) and doing some dishes. After that it's watching some college football then playing some MarioKart on the Wii.

The official CrossFit workout schedule is either: 3 days on and 1 day off or 5 days on and 2 days off. Today I am glad to say is my one day off. I will be back at it again tomorrow. I still am not sure how I made it through last night. If nothing else CrossFit will show you what you are made of and it will show you that you can do more than you think. I would never had done that if I were working out on my own at home or at the local gym. The sad thing too is that no one would have cared what I would have done. However another great thing about the great folks over at CrossFit Swift is that they all care and they all want you to do your best.

So with my one day off from CrossFit, I am going to sit back and enjoy taking it easy. I am also going to enjoy the fact that all my family and friends are healthy and alive. We should all be so lucky. My coworker that I mentioned yesterday met with the doctors this morning. They are pulling the plug on his older brother today. If you are reading this now, please take a minute and be thankful for all that you have before you. You just never know when it will vanish.

Living in the moment is one of the reasons I workout. So I can enjoy life and the things I do without my back hurting, or my hip going out, or just plain old feeling like crap. I want to be able to chase my 4 year old daughter around the yard or jump with her on the trampoline or be able to bend over and pick her up and put her on my shoulders at a moments notice or save her from a fall in the blink of an eye. So I work out and I try to make good choices with my diet. Otherwise I might miss out on one of those rare moments that might never come around again.

The rain is still falling outside and the weather is still cold and gloomy, but that does not mean I have to be that way. So on this day of rest I have a smile on my face and a warmth in my heart. I hope you too can look around you and be thankful for what you have and enjoy the same smile and warmth that I do today. Tomorrow is another day and I look forward to meeting it head on no matter what challenges it may bring my way.

3 comments:

  1. I knew I was doing something wrong. I have been doing 1 day on and 3 days off. (Just kidding.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol@deanna

    (i'm a friend of deanna... welcome to blogging)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how's that push up coming along?

    ReplyDelete