Wednesday, January 21, 2009

CFT 705

Wow tonight was FUN!!!
Now that I am back home I am able to get back into my workout routine. I headed on over to CrossFit Swift tonight. Rumor was that it was going to be a heavy night. I was so happy to see that it was a heavy night. The workout for the day was CrossFit Total (CFT). This is all about how heavy can you go.

So the exercises tonight were - Deadlift - Shoulder Press - Back Squat. After you find your 1 rep max you add up the totals for to get your CFT. All I could think about was this may be my night to finally beat Mason. I knew I could get him on the squat and maybe the deadlift, but would it be enough to overcome the shoulder press?

So after the usual warmup of 2 rounds of 10 reps of squats, pushups, situps, pullups and back extensions I was off. I started with the deadlift. I started slowly but I knew I had to at least beat Mason's 315lbs. So as I approached the 300lb mark I was surprised at how easily I was moving the weight. Now I was up to 315lbs. This is where Mason struggled to finish the lift. I bent down and grabbed the bar and up it went. Wow that wasn't so bad, I thought. So next I put on 325lbs. I grabbed the bar and up it went - SLOWLY - but I did get it up. Now I knew I was close to my max but I thought I could do 5 more pounds. So I put 330lbs on the bar. I bent down and grabbed the bar and up it went - but only about to the middle of my shin. That was it, I maxed out at 325lbs.

Now I was 10lbs ahead of Mason. That was a good start. The only problem was that the shoulder press was next. I knew he was going to beat me on this, I only had to decide by how much. So Mason ended at 145lbs. I knew I could not do that but I knew I had to get close so I could have the possibility of passing him on the squat. So I pushed and pushed and pushed, but I could only manage 130lbs. So now I was only 5lbs behind him. Now it was time for the back squat.

Back and forth we went and the weights kept going up. Finally Mason stopped at 245lbs. I was hot on his heels. I loaded up the bar to 250lbs. This would get me tied with him. So down I went with the bar on my back. Up I came - VERY SLOWLY. I completed the lift at 250lbs. However I was not feeling my usual leg strength tonight. Even though I felt great overall, my legs did not seem to have that usual drive I am used to. So this was it. I needed to do 255lbs in order to beat Mason. So I loaded 5 more pounds on the bar and down I went. I began to drive the weight up but it just would not let me finish the lift.

So there we are Mason and I tied at 705lbs for the night. It was a great night and everyone had a blast but in my mind I still lost. One day I will beat him, I know I will.

Well now it's time for my last 20 pushups for the night. Then I will have done 4 days of the 100 pushup challenge on my way to 50 days. Until next time Mason . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment