Monday, January 26, 2009

Limits - Everyone Has Them

Well tonight was a very disappointing night for me. I was feeling good and ready to really go at the workout tonight. So as we all began to arrive I looked at the board and it was an interesting one.
It consisted of 35lb overhead squats - situps - 35lb kettle bell swings - 20lb medicine ball cleans.

It was a total of 6 rounds. I started out feeling great. The overhead bar felt ok and the kettle bell felt really light. So I was ready to kill it tonight. There seemed to be only one problem. My back decided it was tired and did not want to continue. Not my whole back, just one little spot on my lower left side.

In the middle of round 2 I felt this little twinge and I knew I was in trouble. I had felt it before. Once or twice back in high school when I was playing tennis all the time. I had also felt it about a month or two ago during another very similar workout that consisted of overhead squats and KB swings. I had to stop in the middle of that one and could not finish.

I was determined to continue. However in the back of my mind I knew better. Especially since I have to play a volleyball tournament on Saturday at James Madison University. I began to modify my exercises and modify and modify until I could not do them any more.

I was not going to stop. Even if all I could do was a simple air squat and the situps. As long as the other people in the group were still working hard I was going to do something, anything to keep going. When the last person stopped then I would stop but not before.

Finally after 20 minutes the last person was done. So I called it quits. I was nowhere near having completed the workout but I just could not go any longer. They say that CrossFit will show you where you are weak. I always knew my upper body was weaker than my lower body, but evidently I have this one spot on my lower left side that is very weak and does not like the overhead squat and KB swing combo. At least I know what I need to work on.

So now I get to finish my 40 pushups for the evening that I have left to do on my 100 pushup challenge, then I can rest my back while I watch the Australian Open.

2 comments:

  1. Take care of yourself. I know the Marines say pain is weakness leaving your body, but sometimes pain is your body saying, "Hold up, dude!"

    FYI... bought new shoes today as pain in my feet were telling me that I really needed to. A friend and I are walking together. Woo hoo. Aren't you proud?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I am. Keep up the work. How many pushups have you done today?

    ReplyDelete