Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Bit Of Heavy Lifting

Tonight is why I truly love to CrossFit. We got a chance to max out on our power cleans. The group was great. We had some new people show up and then the regulars. Tonight I believe we had 10 people. The energy as always was great, lots of chatter and laughter going around.

Of course we all went through the warm-up.
500m row
2 rounds of 10 reps each:
situps
pullups
pushups
squats
back extensions.

Then the fun began. We were doing 5 sets of 3 reps each. Trying to increase each round and find our max at the end. My legs were still feeling Monday and Tuesday so I was sure I could not do as well as normal tonight. Since power cleans use a lot of explosive leg movement, I was going to be a bit off my mark tonight.

So of course I was teamed up with Mason. We started at 95lbs just to get warmed up.
The next round we went up to 115lbs. Again no problem, however I could feel my legs were not 100% there. The next round we went up to 135lbs. Still ok but I knew I was not totally there. The 4th round we went up to 155lbs. I knew I was getting close to my max tonight. So finally on the last round Mason and I looked at each other and said, hey why not. So we jumped up to 175lbs. Now I knew my legs were not there and I think mentally I knew I was going to struggle. So I stepped up to the bar and bent over. Grabbed it and away I went. Up it went and I drove my feet into the ground for all I was worth. Unfortunately I could only get it up to my chest and for some reason did not have enough energy and explosiveness to get under the bar to catch it. So for tonight 175lbs was out of my reach. I dropped the weight to 170lbs and was able to clean it. So that's where my journey led me to tonight. It was the best I had done, but yet 5lbs less than Mason tonight.

So after that we had a short met-con to do.
3 rounds
1 minute at each station
1 minute rest after each round

wood chopper
med ball cleans
ring push-ups

So after all that I was done. It was really good to see everyone working so hard tonight. Especially the newbies.
I just love cheering for everyone pushing so hard.

So that ends my 3 days on now it's time for my 1 day off. I may take 2 days off but I doubt it.
I will be travelling to Mississippi to visit my family and my grandmother on Friday. She is not doing so well and I want to see her while she still remembers who I am. I am sure I will get in a workout or 3 while I am down there just to take my mind off things and relieve some stress.

I also need to visit Deanna and the boys so I can workout with them too. I know they would love that. Especially the pushup queen that Deanna is, or is becomming with the help of her boys.
Now it's time for me to refuel and eat up then crash. Until next time. . . . . .

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Push up queen... ha! I think I just snorted coffee all over my computer!

    ReplyDelete