Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine's Day Pain

Just when I thought that Valentine's Day was supposed to be about love and acceptance, CrossFit Swift taught me otherwise.

I know it's Tuesday and I have not posted in a while, but let me just say that Saturday's workout was a killer! It seemed simple enough on paper, but as we all know that just means it will leave you flat on your back in no time and not in a good way.

Here was the, not so simple workout:

4 Burpees
8 Sit ups
PVC pipe OH squats
For every minute on the minute complete 4 burpees, 8 sit ups and as many pvc oh squats as possible until 150 oh squats are achieved.

The first thing I knew I did not like about this workout was that there were burpees involved. This is NEVER a good thing. The second thing I did not like was that it was pure Met-Con, which is never a good thing.

3..2..1.. Go!
So off I went - 4 burpees down - 8 situps down - 22 overhead squats down. That was the first minute. The second minute was not so kind. Only finished 15 overhead squats. After that it was all downhill from there. 10 here, 5 there, 15 over there and even a couple of rounds where I could only do the burpees and the situps and 0 overhead squats. That's right a big fat 0! That means more time and more burpees.

One thing that I knew was not working in my favor was that I was a bit dehydrated. I played volleyball the night before and felt it then. My mouth was dry and I felt tired. I knew I would be in trouble the next morning working out since less than 12 hours is not enough time to hydrate well enough.

Over and over again, up and down, up and down, minute by minute, round by round, I just kept going. There was no way I was going to quit even though I wanted too. As I looked around more and more people were finished and lying on the ground in that great resting position, on their back with their arms and legs outstreched with their eyes closed. I never lie down after a workout. I normally like to walk around and take in deep breaths. But this time I could think of nothing more than just crashing on the floor. My girl finished in 16 minutes - I'm so proud of her.

Still I had work to do. 100, 120, 143 - only 7 more overhead squats to do. No matter what, I was going to finish this time. 3, 2, 1 - DONE! I immediately crashed to the floor and just layed there with my eyes closed and my mind blank. It was a great feeling to be done. Even though it only took me 18 minutes to complete this, it felt like forever.

Within those 18 minutes I completed - 72 burpees - 144 situps and 150 overhead squats.
Man was I done. It took me a good 45 minutes to recover enough to drive home and even then Mai had to drive.

I was wiped out for the rest of the day. I slept and ate and that was about it. It was a wonderful Valentine's Day but I highly recommend staying hydrated and eating well ALL the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment