Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Front Squat

I am tired so this will be very brief. I can't believe how much tonight took out of me. The good news is that it was one of my favorite nights at CrossFit Swift. It was a heavy night.

Tonight's workout was:

Front Squat
5-5-5-5-5

The goal is to be at your heaviest by round 4 or 5.
Mason and I started out at 115lbs for round 1. Round 2 we went to 135. Round 3 found us at 155. Things were beginning to get heavy for Mason. This is by far his weakest area. I still felt strong.

Round 4 took us to 175lbs. Again I pushed through all 5 reps ok, but it was beginning to get heavy. Mason struggled and barely made it through.

Round 5 - last round found us at 195lbs. Off I went, down, up - down, up until I grunted out the last two reps. Done! All 5 reps at 195lbs. Mason stepped up to the bar. Down he went and slowly he came up. Down he went again and even slower he came up. That was it, he was done at 2 reps. So for tonight I was able to beat him in the front squats.

Now I still felt very good and my energy level was going up quickly. I began to smile and look at the bar. Everyone knew what that meant. I was going to see what my 1 rep max was.

I stepped up to the bar and put 215lbs on it. Picked it up off the rack and took a deep breath. Down I went and up I came. It was tough for sure but I know I can do more. Of course I could not quit with that. I was feeling too good now. The smile on my face was huge now. The endorphins were kicking.

Now I put 225lbs on the bar. Took some deep breaths and off I went. Down and up. I decided to stop there, even though I still felt good. I figure I will save something for the next time I try this.

There you go another night, another personal best. I just love this stuff!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment