Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thrusters

Short post tonight.
Tonight was a heavy night at CrossFit Swift.
The workout was thrusters 3-3-3-3-3. So of course Mason and I set up on the same bar. I just have to compete with someone and I prefer it to be someone better than me. That makes Mason the logical choice.
The first couple of rounds were surprisingly easy. We started at 135lbs then 145lbs then 155lbs. It was interesting watching Mason struggle with the front squat and then explode with the push press fairly easily. With me it was the exact opposite. The front squats were a piece of cake. Then I began to struggle with the push press.

On the 4th round we stepped up to 165lbs. I knew I was going to struggle with this one. Again the front squat was easy but then I had to press it overhead. I was able to get out 2 of the 3 reps but that was it. Now came the 5th round. Mason wanted to go up to 175lbs. Of course I had to at least try it. I knew it was a shot in the dark but what the heck. Down I went with the front squat - piece of cake - but there was no way that push press was going anywhere.

I backed it back down to 170lbs just to see if I could get one rep. Yes I did and it felt good and that is where I stopped.

Here are my numbers for the evening.

Thrusters
3-3-3-3-3
135-145-155-165(2)-170(1)

It was a good night and fun to watch everyone put up some big numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment