Saturday, February 7, 2009

BEAR Attack

Ok, somehow I survived the Bear attack at CrossFit Swift. The Bear is a benchmark CrossFit workout. It is all about strength and mental toughness. I have done this workout 3 times now and I keep getting better and better but it still beats me up. One thing about CrossFit is that it will test you as much mentally as physically. This is one of those workouts that prove it.

Here is what The Bear is:

Complete 7 reps of the following sequence
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Push Press

Complete 5 rounds, increasing the weight each round to find your max. Rest as needed in between rounds.

You may not rest the bar on the ground - not even to regrip.
You may rest the bar on any part of your body.

As the morning began I did not feel very strong. Some days you just don't feel that great. Today was one of those days. I had already pushed myself quite a bit on Wednesday night when I maxed out my thrusters at 170lbs. Nedless to say my shoulders were somewhat tired from that workout.

I began my rounds with 95lbs on the bar. Then I went to 105lbs on round 2. I knew right away that this was going to be a struggle. Round 3 found me going up to 115lbs. This one was tough but I knew I had more in me. Round 4 was here. Time to go up again. 120lbs found it's way onto my bar. Now this was tough. I struggled and fought and sreamed and grunted and did whatever it took to get through all 7 reps without letting go of the bar or let it rest on the ground.

Now that was tough. The hardest part was trying to keep my hands wrapped around the bar. My forearms were burning and my fingers were weak. BUT I MADE IT!!! This was 5lbs more than I was able to do back in December when I did 115lbs on the last round but had to drop the bar on rep 3 of 7.

Now for the last round. The question of the day, do I do 120lbs again or do I go up to 125??? Well if you know me you know the answer to that question. Of course I went up to 125lbs. How else would I know my limits if I don't try to go past them.

Here we go. Rep one of 7. OUCH that is heavy and my hands are useless. Finished that one. Rep 2 of 7. Forearms are on fire and I can't feel my fingers. Finished that one. Rep 3 of 7. Breathing so heavy now, and shoulders are feeling very weak. Deadlift, done. Hang clean, done. Front squat, push press overhead lockout, DONE. Now for the hardest part. Controlling the bar down onto my back. This is where my grip failed me. I had to move out of the way and let the weights come crashing down behind me. That was it, I was done with only 2 full reps of 7 done on my last round.

The good news is that I had already done better than I did last time a few months ago. If I could have only had the hand and forearm strength to hold on to that bar I would have made it.

Mr Bear,
You beat me today, but next time I will be taking you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment